Say what? The title of this post is indeed a bit arb, but if you follow me on Instagram you might recognise this subject matter inspired from a Maya Angelou quote I recently shared:
I wasn’t going to do the whole “word for the year” thing this year because if I’m honest, the act hasn’t helped me achieve anything in the past, and I feel like its a bit of a social media gimmick sometimes… BUT THEN – I read this quote and I kind of liked the idea of the word CONTINUE. Not only to continue with kindness as the quote suggests, but the idea of continuing with ALL the good things – perpetuating the positive!
To carry on building my design business for example, to continue to show love and kindness to others and myself. To embrace my journey through motherhood with more patience, play and presence. Continuing to learn and grow. Continuing to choose happiness (because its totally a choice, people – trust me!)
This year I will do more, but I will also do less: more of the things that matter, less of the things that do not add value to my life – please don’t be upset if you hear me saying “NO’ because this is a word I will now use as liberally as I use it’s counterpart ‘YES!’
I will be mindful and decisive about what I want going forward – things on my goal list include:
- fostering healthier eating habits for myself and my family – we had a good start in January, trying to eat less processed foods where possible and less sugar (sob!) – I WILL continue to improve on this daily (and I WON’T beat myself up if I slip up every now and then – life is for living, eat the damn cheesecake!)
- going for work opportunities from my creative bucket list – I WILL continue to explore more opportunities and ideas! (this morning I emailed a company who I’d LOVE to work with outright, and said “hey, I want to collaborate!” and guess what? They said yes, sometimes all it takes is asking!)
- continuing to attract amazing, like-minded clients to work with – the universe is good to me in this way, I hate to use the “B word” but I do feel totally blessed that most of my clients are open minded, creative and forward thinking! I WILL continue to work hard and to always do my best for the people I join forces with.
- growing more by learning new skills and working on my own side projects – this is always a tough one though because, TIME. But thanks to recent hiring of new assistant (will tell you more soon!) I am hoping to have a few extra minutes to play with each week – and I WILL also MAKE time to do this too!
- spending less – I want to stop buying unnecessary shit, full stop. I WILL be more conscious about what I am spending my money on.
- creating more memories with the ones I love. This is a given. Hubby and I are already trying to practice a more conscious parenting style and I’m not saying we’ll always get it right, but we certainly WILL try.
- sharing – my ideas, my knowledge, my experiences, my skills – as much as humanly possible without depleting myself, of course. Sharing with the right people totally fills my cup ♥
- showing more gratitude – we have so much to be thankful for and I WILL be more mindful about practicing gratitude daily.
So, that’s it – my ‘new year, new me‘ style post for 2017 – a month or so late, but better late than never I guess 😉
Here’s to continuing to blog more consistently from Feb onwards too!